|Title||HEADQUARTERS AREA, SAVANNAH AIR BASE, SAVANNAH, GA.|
|Collection||1121-057, V. & J. Duncan Postcard Collection|
"HEADQUARTERS AREA, SAVANNAH AIR BASE, SAVANNAH, GA."
This colorized postcard, dated April 10, 1942, depicts roads and housing infrastructure on current-day Hunter Air Force Base.
|Year Range from||1941|
|Year Range to||1942|
"In 1929, a General Aviation Committee of the Savannah City Council saw the bright future of aviation and recommended a 730 acre tract of land be purchased for what would eventually become Hunter Army Airfield. It originally opened in September of 1929 as the Savannah Municipal Airport. This became a part of the Eastern Air Transport Incorporated air route in 1931 and was celebrated by the mayor’s daughter christening an 18-passenger Curtiss Condor II with a bottle of Savannah River water.
It was not until 1940 that the airport was renamed Hunter Municipal Airfield in honor of Savannah native and WWI pilot Lieutenant Colonel Frank O’Driscoll Hunter during Savannah Aviation Week. Official approval was soon given to build a base at Hunter and the airfield was renamed Savannah Air Base in 1941 during the base dedication. It served as an operational training unit during the war years and afterward, in 1946, was given back to the city of Savannah for civilian use."
From http://hunterarmyairfieldhousing.com/template.php?name=pages&title=231 (accessed June 20, 2014)
|Source||V. & J. Duncan Antique Maps & Prints|
|Credit line||Courtesy of City of Savannah, Research Library & Municipal Archives on behalf of V. & J. Duncan Antique Maps & Prints|
|Copyright||Copyright has not been assigned to the City of Savannah. All requests for permission to publish or quote from the collections must be submitted in writing to the Research Library & Municipal Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the City of Savannah as owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.|
|Online Finding Aid||http://www.savannahga.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4354|