|Title||Barnard Street School, Savannah, Ga.|
|Collection||1121-057, V. & J. Duncan Postcard Collection|
"Barnard Street School, Savannah, Ga."
This colorized postcard, stamped March 28, 1921, depicts the front facade of Barnard School (Savannah College of Art and Design's Pepe Hall) from Chatham Square.
|Year Range from||1905|
|Year Range to||1921|
"The Barnard Street School, at 212 West Taylor Street, was designed by Norman using the same floor plan as the Anderson Street School. It was built on the site of the original Barnard Street Elementary School, which had been designed by John Norris and built in 1854. It had been used as a military hospital by Sherman’s army during the Civil War. The new 20,759 square foot school building was $75,000 in 1905. The two story building was designed in a Mediterranean revival style with a battered brick basement level, a terra cotta roof, and a central bell tower. The building was originally covered in rusticated stucco with sandstone detailing around the windows. The school closed in 1956 and served as administrative offices until 1961. It reopened as a school in 1961. It was acquired by SCAD in 1988, renovated, and renamed Pepe Hall."
From http://blog.scad.edu/speccoll/exhibits/before-they-were-scad-buildings-an-exhibit-of-postcards/ (Accessed June 19, 2014)
|Source||V. & J. Duncan Antique Maps & Prints|
|Credit line||Courtesy of City of Savannah, Research Library & Municipal Archives on behalf of V. & J. Duncan Antique Maps & Prints|
|Copyright||Copyright has not been assigned to the City of Savannah. All requests for permission to publish or quote from the collections must be submitted in writing to the Research Library & Municipal Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the City of Savannah as owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.|
|Online Finding Aid||http://www.savannahga.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4354|